Trying to find healthy things for my toddler to eat is sometimes nearly impossible. He’s a stubborn dude with a unique palate. Sometimes he’ll eat anything I give him and I mean anything. I once found him eating raw onion… what!?! But then other times he just wants a mango foozi (mango smoothie) and nothing else. Ugh.
This is my latest attempt to turn a childhood snack of mine (Uncle Toby’s Chewy Choc Chip Muesli Bars, remember those?) into a paleo snack for the little man. He loves it by the way, but then so does the dog…
1 cup Slivered Almonds
1 1/2 cups Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
1/3 cup Sunflower Seeds
1/3 cup Pepitas
1 Tbsp Sesame Seeds
1/2 cup Almond Meal
1/3 cup Coconut Oil, melted
1/4 Almond Butter
1/4 cup Honey
1 tsp Organic Vanilla Extract
3/4 tsp Baking Soda
1 large Egg
3/4 cup Dark Chocolate Chips or your favorite chopped dried fruit (optional)
Putting It All Together
1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celsius
2. Grease with some coconut oil a smallish rectangle baking pan approximately 20cm x 30cm. You can line it with baking paper if you want. Actually do both.
3. Pulse the pepitas in a food processor a couple of times make them a bit smaller.
4. Mix together the egg, coconut oil, almond butter, honey and vanilla essence.
5. Add the almond meal and baking soda and mix to combine.
6.Then add the slivered almonds, shredded coconut, pepitas, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and chocolate chips (or dried fruit) Mix well to combine.
7. Pour the mixture into prepared baking pan. Spread out evenly and flatten with your hand or the back of a spatula.
8. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
9. Let it cool completely in the pan before cutting into bars (I put mine in the fridge before cutting).
10. Cut the baked slice into bars and wrap individual bars in wax paper or cling wrap for easy travel. Store in the fridge.