You ask and you shall receive!
P.S Beware, it looks stable when it’s in the dish but it can (hopefully not too much) fall apart when you cut it and plate it up. Still tastes delicious though!
- 1 large sweet potato or 2 small to medium sweet potatoes
- 1 large bulb of garlic
- 1/2 brown onion diced
- 1 kg of organic chicken mince or mince chicken breast in your food processor
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1/2 cup of coconut milk
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp of dried basil
- 2 tsp of dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
Cooking this thing
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees celsius
- Cut one end off the bulb of garlic and wrap it in aluminum foil. Place the wrapped bulb in the preheated oven for about 25-30 minutes. The smell of roasted garlic is devine… they should make air fresheners with this scent.
- Meanwhile, peel your sweet potato and chop off the point ends. Then cut it in half width ways.
- Now to make the sweet potato “pasta sheets” you can either use a mandolin to slice it thinly or you can do what I did and use a sharp knife. You want the sheets to be about 5-ish mm thick. Just be careful.
- Once you have done that set them aside and start cooking your chicken mince.
- Heat your olive oil in a fry pan on medium heat and add the onion. Sauté until just transparent and add the chicken and a pinch of salt. Turn the heat down low and let the mince cook slowly.
- The garlic bulb should be about finished roasting, so then remove it from the oven and the foil. Make sure you have some heat protection on your hands to squeeze the bulb so that the cloves just come out. Squeeze it into your food processor and add the olive oil. Pulse until combined.
- Then add the coconut milk, tomato paste and dried herbs. Pulse until well combined. Smell it… it smells good.
- Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper
- Remove the chicken from heat, doesn’t matter if it’s not all cooked because it’s going in the oven.
- To start the layers, get a small to medium baking dish (i use a pyrex one), smear a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of the dish. Then get some of the sweet potato sheets and lay them down in the dish, then add a layer of chicken and a layer of sauce. Repeat, the last layer should be of sweet potato sheets covered in sauce on top.
- Place the lasagna in the oven and bake for 45 minutes or until brown a little on top (that’s the best part). Once out of the oven let it sit and set for about an hour. It will help when you go to serve it up. Serve with a side green salad.
I based this recipe on Julie from PaleOMG’s Garlic Chicken Butternut Squash Lasagna. I had to adjust a few things because I wanted to use chicken mince and sweet potato. So I upped the sauce ingredients to accommodate my mince. If you need to please make more of the sauce if you want a really saucy lasagna. The only thing is that it might make it a bit more sloppy.