To all the mum’s and dad’s out there who make the school lunches, hats off to you I say. The rules and regulations that schools, kindergartens and daycare facilities have set for what is allowed to go in to the lunchbox has certainly changed the game. Some places have a no nut no egg policy, no plastic wrap and packaging free while others say no chocolate but anything else is ok.
This is a positive step towards good nutrition for our children at schools and I think it’s a great idea, but for a lot of parents it means staring at the empty lunchbox wondering what the heck are you going to put in there.
In my day a Nutella sandwich on white bread with a packet of pizza shapes and a frozen poppa was a good lunch day. Times have changed.
Here is the challenge for most parents: to pack a lunch that is not only adhering to the regulations but that is nutritious, delicious and let’s face it looks good so that your kids will eat it!
Now I’ve based this recipe off of Stupid Easy Paleo’s tortilla recipe but have changed and added a few ingredients to suit the purpose. Stephanie did an awesome job of creating these tortillas and I use them all the time. I’ve also tried to keep it pretty simple so that you can make them on prep day or in a rush the night before.
What Goes ln
• 1 cup of baby spinach leaves
• 4 eggs
• 1 tbsp of coconut oil
• 4 tbsp water
• Pinch of salt
• 1/2 cup of tapioca starch/arrowroot flour
• 2 tsp of coconut flour
Making the Wraps
• Put the spinach, eggs, oil, water, pinch of salt in the blender and blend for 45 seconds or until it looks like green liquid no bits/chunks of spinach.
• Whisk with a hand whisk until combined.
• Pour a small (less than a 1/4 cup) amount of the liquid into the pan and swirl it around until the bottom of the pan is covered.
• When the sides of the mixture start to peel away from the side then flip the wrap over and cook for a few more seconds.
Now I did try using a larger pan to make a larger wrap and it worked. I guess depending on how big a wrap you think your child or you will eat depends on the pan you will use.
What to Wrap
This depends a lot on your child’s tastebuds and what is allowed at the school/kindy/daycare.
Here are some suggestions:
• Ham, avocado and an organic grassfed cheese
• Smoked salmon, avocado, cucumber and paleo Mayo
• Almond butter and organic honey (I’ve tried this and it was ace!)
• Almond butter and banana
• Shredded Chicken, grated carrot, beetroot and avocado
• Pulled pork, grated apple, grated cabbage and paleo Mayo (also one of my favourites!)
Try some of your own combinations or your kids favourites wrap fillers and see how you go!